I just realesed my second powerpack for PowerGUI — A remote file explorer. This one uses PowerShell 2.0 remoting to enable remote drive browsing and file transfers. For performing file transfers, I am using pModem module developed by @oising. At present, this module supports file transfers from a remote session only. So as this PowerPack.
1. PowerGUI 2.0 or later
2. PowerShell 2.0
3. pModem 0.5 or later pModem download: http://www.nivot.org/2009/11/02/PowerShell20IntroducingThePModemFileTransferProtocol.aspx
Make sure you copy this module to all remote computer to the $ENV:PSModulePath
4. You need to run PowerGUI with elevated privileges
- Enable PS remoting on computers by using Enable-PSRemoting. For guidance on how to do this in a workgroup environment check http://188.8.131.52/blog/?p=1060
- Check PS remoting on each computer by using Enter-PSSession -ComputerName Localhost
- Install this powerpack
- Add remote computers using “Add remoting Computers” Option in actions
Make sure you check PowerShell libraries in the admin console’s file menu to see if pmodem is enabled or not.
Adding a remoting computer
You can add a remote computer by using the “Add remoting computer” action. This list of computers is saved at $Host.PrivateData.UserAppData)\FileExplorer.powerpack.xml. I have localhost listed there by default. This is to enable file transfers from local session to remote computer.
Transferring a remote file
At present, this powerpack supports only transferring files and from a remote computer only. You can do that by selecting a file from the result grid and clicking on “Get Remote File” action.
How is this done?
All the file browing happens over PowerShell remoting sessions. I am using Get-PSdrive to get all PS Drives of type filesystem and then use Get-ChildItem cmdlet to get files/folders from a remote drive.
- This is a proof-of-concept implementation. So, there will be bugs
- Again, you cannot transfer files from local computer to remote session. This is not implemented.
- Currently only files can be transferred. No recursive folder transfers possible.